In 2017, immigrants worldwide sent over $600 billion home to family and friends, dwarfing foreign governmental aid. In the age of cheap, quick transfers through services like Paypal and Venmo, these people are trekking to stores to pay fees averaging over 7% for transfers that typically take 24 hours or more. Wave's mission is to change that by making sending money anywhere in the world easy and affordable. Since 2014, their app has allowed Africans in the US, the UK, and Canada to send money instantly to mobile money wallets in Kenya, Uganda, Ghana, Tanzania, and Nigeria saving our users over 70% relative to Western Union and MoneyGram.
The team is a distributed group of seven engineers, twelve operations team members and over fifty support representatives spread across three continents who are deeply passionate about our mission.
Each quarter, they go on a five-day retreat together. In 2018, they’ve been to Vancouver, BC (Canada), Lisbon (Portugal), Austin, TX (USA) and Burlington, VT (USA).
A strong compliance team is the backbone of any money transfer business. The Belgian Compliance Officer will work with our Chief Compliance Officer and our compliance team to fulfill our regulatory obligations in Belgium and other countries within the EEA.
This position may grow with the business, expanding to jurisdictions throughout Europe as we establish new sending corridors and remittance markets. A successful candidate will be eager to learn (or already know) the regulatory landscape for money transmitters in Belgium and throughout the EEA.
Main tasks and responsibilities
• You are responsible for fulfilling all regulatory reporting requirements in Belgium.
• You serve as the primary point of contact for Belgian regulatory authorities (i.e. Central Bank of Belgium) as well as other relevant regulatory agencies in the EEA as Wave expands to other countries. This includes establishing and maintaining positive relationships with relevant regulatory personnel.
• You oversee the Vendor Management Program, which ensures superior due diligence and good standing with all company partners including, but not limited to, bank partners, telecommunication companies, aggregators, and foreign counter-parties.
• You assist with regulatory reporting requirements in jurisdictions including, but not limited to, the United States and other countries within the EEA.
• You assist with license renewals in all jurisdictions in which the company is licensed.
• You assist with preparation and facilitation of inspections, reviews, and examinations conducted by regulatory authorities and/or independent third parties
• You are a critical member of the global business's compliance team and provide support and assistance on an ongoing basis, which may include filing Suspicious Activity Reports (SARs), assisting with sanctions screening, providing compliance training to staff, and supporting the AML Monitoring Team.
• You have local work authorization in Belgium.
• You have a Master’s degree in an economically oriented study.
• You have at least five years’ experience in a similar role.
• ACAMS Certifications is a strong plus.
• Direct experience working with the Central Bank of Belgium is a strong plus.
• You are fluent in English and French with excellent communication skills.
• You have a background in compliance, financial institutions, government agencies, and/or money transfer businesses is a plus.
• You possess strong computer skills, meticulous attention to detail, and superior organization.
• You are a self-starter, take initiative, self-manage and require little day-to-day direction to be successful.
• You are quick to learn new information, processes, and procedures and can execute shortly thereafter.
• You have excellent communication & project management skills.
• You consider yourself resourceful and able to quickly troubleshoot problems as they arise.
• You are excited about stepping into a role with a lot of growth potential as the position responsibilities will expand beyond Belgium and into other countries in the EEA as the company grows.
• You are eager to work on a small and fast-moving team.
• You are excited to create policies, procedures, and programs that did not previously exist within the company.
• You take responsibility for the outcomes of your core duties.